Color Word Practice on a Budget

As I was working in my classroom this afternoon, I came across this color word activity that I use quiet often and thought I would share. It is practically free to make which is great for all of you that are already broke from buying school things and are surviving on Ramen Noodles until the first paycheck after school starts! 

All you have to do is laminate construction paper and then have one of your new & excited kindergarten parents that are always so willing to help, die cut the letters of each color word from the corresponding colored paper and then put them in a ziplock bag.

Here are the letters stuffed in a bag...

 The kids then dump them out on a table or on the floor and sort the letters by color.


...and then they spell each color word using the correct colored letters. For example: use the red letters to spell red, blue letters to spell blue, yellow letters to spell yellow, etc. 


As an extension, my little ones love to then write the color words using the correct color of crayon. For example: use red crayon or marker to write the word red, blue marker/crayon to write blue, etc. 

Now wasn't that cheap AND easy?! 
 

4 comments:

Mrs. Shelton said...

I love this idea! I'm pinning it to remember!

Sarah
Kindergarten Korner

Lisa R. said...

What a great budget friendly idea! Love it!
Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Rhonda said...

Great idea and blog.
I am your newest follower.
Rhonda
Classroom Fun

Mrs. Ziegler said...

LOVE this! I am your newest follower and would love for you to come visit my blog. I am hosting a linky party on the first day of kindergarten plans and I am sure you could add some great ideas. I would love to have you link up!

~Rachel
Teaching with Z