Decorating Mayday!

One of my favorite things about being a kindergarten teacher is creating a cozy and fun classroom that is super kid friendly and conducive to learning.  I love using bright primary colors with the little ones but somehow over the years I have gotten carried away and all of the bright colors became too "busy" and overwhelming. An easy solution I found was to add in a black chalkboard theme to tone the colors down a little and I loved it! Here are some pictures of my former classroom that I found that show some splashes of the black.
 

 




 

 


 
I love that our walls were painted Concrete Gray because it offered a neutral background for all of those colors and the sink storage cabinets and trim around the doors was red.
 
Well, now that I got a job in my top choice school, its almost time to start thinking about getting the new classroom ready! I haven't actually seen "my" classroom yet. There are 3 classrooms to choose from but I have only been able to see 1 so far because the floors were being waxed and carpets cleaned.  However, I did take some pictures to start getting some ideas. I was absolutely blown away to find out that all of the classrooms have a teacher office in them! A big office! With lots of storage cabinets!
 
Heaven!
 
 
So this is where I need your help! I LOVE the huge classroom and office but I am not very fond of the colors on the cabinets and cubbies. They were popular colors from the late 80's and early 90's...dusty mauve and hunter green! Not primary colors at all!  Ugh!
 


 
 
Look at that huge classroom and office! I'm in love!
 
But what should I do? Go ahead with my black chalkboard and primary colors and just hope the pink and green cabinets & cubbies under the windows blend in? Or do I change my color scheme all together and try to go with something that centers around the cabinet colors?  I'm not sure I should ask if I can paint them...at least not yet.  My former principal didn't care what we did to our classrooms as long as the school looked kid friendly....(paint furniture, shelves, file cabinets, wall murals, curtains, etc). Fortunately, he trusted the teachers and as a result, our school had a great reputation of being very well decorated, inviting, and kid friendly.
 
Do you have any ideas for me?
 
How about your school? Do you have freedom to paint and/or decorate as you wish?
 
 
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your classroom is huge! You are so lucky! I don't have nearly this much storage at my new school. My school is very bland looking but we can paint some of the furniture.
Since yours is built in I would just leave them the normal color. I think your color scheme works fine, if you try and match the colors of the room. It might be a funny theme. Just cover the walls in kindergarten goodness.

Donna said...

I would leave everything as it is already painted and just use what you have. I really believe your décor w/ the black chalkboard accents will tie it all together. What a great room & storage!
Learning at the Teacher Table


Anonymous said...

I love it! Congrats on your new job!

Bibek Roy said...

This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article.Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here.best time to visit munnar